[Open-bio-l] Re: [GMOD-devel] What is the clear distinction between a feature and a bioentry

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 18:52:14 +0200

> A Unigene cluster has a consensus sequence, so it would meet the
definition. We're producing >other sequence clusterings too, and they too
have a consensus sequence. That may not generally

Unigene, to the contrary of other EST clusters, does not have a consensus
sequence, that's why I mentioned it. You can get the longest sequence in the
cluster if you want, but they do not provide consensus. From their page "It
should also be noted that no attempt has been made to produce contigs or
consensus sequences" (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/UniGene/)

>hold though. The definition given above should be taken as a guideline for
our local build. Bottom >line is, if  2 or more of the 3 conditions are met,
the 'right' thing to do should be to make it a >bioentry. If only 1 or 0 are
met, it's most likely a feature.

We agree then :)

>Serge next door tells me at Fantom2 there was an extended discussion
between 20 scientists >who had 19 differing opinions about what a gene is

Hey, not bad, thought it would be about 25... :)

Elia