[GMOD-devel] RE: [Open-bio-l] RE: seqfeature

Chris Mungall cjm@bdgp.lbl.gov
Thu, 2 May 2002 15:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 2002, Lincoln Stein wrote:
>
> > My opinion is that some things, like DNA->DNA, RNA->DNA and
> > PROTEIN->DNA alignments are so universally useful (and tricky to deal
> > with) that they should be built directly into the schema rather than
> > implicitly modeled by external code or ontologies.  Support for
> > multiple alignments would be a strong plus, although it runs the risk
> > of introducing oddities like pads.
>
> I tend to agree with Lincoln here. Chris?

I'm absolutely in favour of frame columns in relations that are specific
to alignments; in my original suggestions (3) and (4) I listed "e-value"
and "score" but this was implicitly meant to be a list of whatever columns
are most commonly used (in gadfly i have explicit columns for e-val,
score, % identity, qframe, sframe)