[Open-bio-l] volunteering for openbio

Michael L. Heuer heuermh@acm.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:16:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Simon Brocklehurst wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ravi Iyer wrote:
> >
> > Well - almost certainly I think it is the web site that sounds the best
> > place to start for you - What I would do is poke around the web sites and
> > then propose a system which has to
> >
> >   (a) let the different sites have control of content sensibly
> >
> >   (b) has some commonish look and feel
> >
> >   (c) perhaps lets News items be centrally managed so people in BioPerl
> > see BioJava annoucements and stuff.
> >
> > What do other people think?
> >

> The easiest way to go here would be to use an off-the-shelf content
> management system that allows as much configuration as you want.
>
> To match Ravi's skills, something like PostNuke (www.postnuke.com) might
> be good.  It's licensed under GPL, and is PHP driven with a MySQL back
> end.
>
> It makes it easy to do things like RSS syndication of information across
> sites (e.g. news from sister Open Bio sites).

hmm .. I think something like PostNuke is probably too much for what we're
looking for here.  I've used nuke before to good effect, but it's very
busy for a web interface and has a lot more functionality than is
really necessary.

RSS syndication is a good idea, as would be automatic posting of
news items to/from the announce-level mailing lists.  I'd be nice only to
have to announce things once, and see that announcement percolate through
the community (mailing list -> open-bio web site -> RSS syndication ->
freshmeat notice etc).

   michael