[Open-bio-l] Re: [Bosc] BioSQL BoF at BOSC?

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 17:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

Let's do it.  BioSQL BoF officially in the queue (I've waved the
magic BOSC wand over here).

Hopefully Andrew is willing to be the BOSC BoFKing in terms of scheduling
like last year.  We'll put out a generall calling for other people who
want to do BoFs and we'll have a list of BoFs agreed on before the
conference.  Spontaneous BoFs and ToBs will of course still be welcomed
once one gets to Edmonton - we'll provide  signup sheet for people to
organize their own special interest discussion.

As for webcasts - don't think it is in the BOSC budget.  I can talk to our
onsite coordinator about what it would take, but frankly there are enough
things that we need to organize for BOSC that I don't we really can take
on the scheduling of this.  Chris D or myself will likely blogging the
conference on the O'Reilly weblogs for those who want to tune and the OBF
systems may yet have an blogger enabled by BOSC anyways.  If someone wants
to seek outside support for this, please feel free, but let us know what
your plans are so we can make necessary preparations.

If you want to "have your own party" wrt to biosql or the overall OBDA
idea - feel free.  We'd all just like to know about so we can join in -
funny that BOSC was essentially a software side party from ISMB that has
gotten big enough I guess to warrant having side parties of its own.   Heh.

As for real-time development hackathon style - I'm not sure we'll have
enough of a critical mass there to do anything like was accomplished at
the hackathons.  The OBF Board agreed that BOSC is about serving the
community and educating people about our projects while learning about
other projects.  The hackathons have ended up being more exclusive and
focused on a small set of project goals.  I'm not sure we can effectively
mix the two and accomplish both goals but if someone wants to try to do it
please feel free - we are more than happy for this happen.

No matter what, I do hope that at BOSC people will get together and
discuss what they'd like to accomplish either on their own or together.
In the past people have used BOSC as a time to lay out plans for their
existing/fledgling projects and how they want to proceede.

Hopefully a BioSQL/OBDA BoF will accomplish some of this - but realize
that most of that will probably be taken up explaining what the goals of
the project are, what client/srv software is available, and what the
vision of the next XX months is.  It will highlight the need for a
white paper describing where we are and hope to go, more involvement by
more individuals with diverse needs, and a project leader willing to lay
down some tangible goals for us.  At least that is where I see what the
project needs right now.

We (BOSC committee) will do whatever we can to facilitate these types of
interactions.  Let us know so we can try and make plans.  We're planning
on semi-private meeting space for BoFs in the evenings and wireless access
throughout the meeting area so people can work and exchange ideas and
information.  Now, I'm not sure that our internet connection and wireless
setup will be running for the duration of ISMB - have to check with the
onsite coordinator and what Chris D's plans are for the hardware.

-jason

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University