[Open-bio-l] FK cascades

Chris Mungall cjm@fruitfly.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:46:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Maintaining is FK integrity in the SW layer is not only inevitably
> unsafe and prone to slip, it also makes for _ugly_ code in the
> adaptors.

agreed

> I don't know exactly what Postgres is capable of, but I'd assume it
> enforces FK constraints and can do cascading deletes. Oracle does.
> It seems InnoDB from one of the most recent versions on can do, too.

postgres does indeed either enforce or do cascading deletes

> How much outcry would it cause to require MySQL-Max > 3.23.50 to run
> BioSQL, and then migrate to using InnoDB as the table handler?
> (There are couple problems with the InnoDB implementation of FK
> constraint enforcement, but if no-one messes with the table
> definitions and the order they are created, these can be handled I
> believe.)

I don't know enough about InnoDB to comment. we're still using myisam at
berkeley coz we haven't had time to look into changing. how does it
compare speed-wise to MyISAM?

it would be nice to get rid of all that pointless adapter code