[Open-bio-announce] e had sle

Cottle literarily at smashvisuals.nl
Sun Aug 30 16:26:48 UTC 2009

T of it?" asked Marie. "It was mourning. Jacques made you wear mourning
for Francine." From that day Jacques saw no more of Marie. This rupture
was unlucky for him. Evil days returned; he had no more work, and fell
into such a fearful state of wretchedness that, no longer knowing what
would become of him, he begged his friend the doctor to obtain him
admission to a hospital. The doctor saw at first glance that this
admission would not be difficult to obtain. Jacques, who did not suspect
his condition, was on the way to rejoin Francine. As he could still move
about, Jacques begged the superintendent of the hospital to let him have
a little unused room, and he had a stand, some tools, and some modelling
clay brought there. During the first fortnight he worked at the figure
he intended for Francine's grave. It was an angel with outspread wings.
This figure, which was Francine's portrait, was never quite finished,
for Jacques could soon no longer mount the stairs, and in short time
could not leave his bed. One day the order book fell into his hands, and
seeing the things prescribed for himself, he understood that he was
lost. He wrote to his family, and sent for Sister Sainte-Genevieve, who
looked after him with charitable care. "Sister," said Jacques, "there is
upstairs in the room that was lent me, a little plaster cast. This
statuette, which represents an angel, was intended for a tomb, but I had
not time to execute it in marble. Yes, I had a fine block--white marble
with pink veins. Well, sister, I give you my little statuette for your
chapel." Jacques died a few days later. As the funeral took place on the
very day of the opening of the annual exhibition of pictures, the Water
Drinkers were not present. "Art before all," said Lazare. Jacques'
family was not a rich one