[Open-bio-announce] Long time ago all the bi

Mutz Mains logorrhea at floweast.com
Wed Aug 26 23:11:48 UTC 2009

 wish I could find that fox;" but the cunning fox was curled up in his
warm nest, and whenever he thought of the bear he laughed. WHY THE WREN
FLIES CLOSE TO THE EARTH. One day when the birds were all together, one
of them said, "I have been watching men, and I saw that they had a king.
Let us too have a king." "Why?" asked the others. "Oh, I do not know,
but men have one." "Which bird shall it be? How shall we choose a king?"
"Let us choose the bird that flies farthest," said one. "No, the bird
that flies most swiftly." "The most beautiful bird." "The bird that
sings best." "The strongest bird." The owl sat a little way off on a
great oak-tree. He said nothing, but he looked so wise that all the
birds cried, "Let us ask the owl to choose for us." "The bird that flies
highest should be our king," said the owl with a wiser look than before,
and the others said, "Yes, we will choose the bird that flies highest."
The wren is very small, but she cried even more eagerly than the others,
"Let us choose the bird that flies highest," for she said to herself,
"They think the owl is wise, but I am wiser than he, and I know which
bird can fly highest." Then the birds tried their wings. They flew high,
high up above the earth, but one by one they had to come back to their
homes. It was soon seen which could fly highest, for when all the others
had come back, there was the eagle rising higher and higher. "The eagle
is our king," cried the birds on the earth, and the eagle gave a loud
cry of happiness. But look! A little bird had been hidden in the
feathers on the eagle's back, and when the eagle had gone as high as he
could, the wren flew up from his