[MOBY-l] text-plain and text_plain

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Tue Aug 21 09:46:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 20-Aug-2007, at 10:48 PM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Ugh...  Appendicitis!
>
> At some point someone registered text_plain when text-plain already
> existed... after that, people discovered one or the other and started
> building inheritence trees from both of them.
>
> As a community, we have agreed to use hyphens.  We are supporting the
> underscores only until there are no longer any services that
> utilize those
> nodes or their children. At that point, we will prune that node off
> completely :-)

Is there a deadline for saying by by to text_plain or is it possible
to make these depreciated nodes "read only" so people can not
register new services or make more complex objects based on them?
Otherwise I bet such depreciated nodes will be stuck in the ontology
forever.

Cheers,

Pi

> So... please use hyphens preferentially.

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:22:01 -0700, Michael DiBernardo
> <mikedebo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am peeking curiously at the types "text_plain" and "text-plain" in
>> the Objects ontology. (One uses an underscore and the other uses a
>> dash, if you weren't able to see the difference straightaway).
>>
>> Roughly 130 types in the Objects ontology derive from text-plain,
>> while roughly 50 derive from text_plain. What is the reasoning behind
>> this division, if any? Is this just a common typo/formatting issue
>> that we haven't gotten around to dealing with yet? I would classify
>> this as a pretty substantial annoyance, since it appears to make many
>> compatible services appear incompatible with one another.
>>
>> Is there anything I might be able to do straightaway that could
>> contribute to fixing this, if it indeed needs fixing?
>>
>> -Mike
>

> --
> --
> Mark Wilkinson
> Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
> University of British Columbia
> PI Bioinformatics
> iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital
> Tel:  604 682 2344 x62129
> Fax:  604 806 9274
>
> ***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
> This electronic message is intended only for the use of the
> addressee and
> may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
> dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
> unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have
> received this
> communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
> e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034

Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen