[MOBY-l] [moby] question from begineer

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Feb 8 21:45:09 UTC 2006

Hi Nicholas,

First of all - WELCOME!  It's nice to see a new name in the MOBY
list :-)

Okay, the best way to get started is by following a tutorial.  There are
several of them around the Web - one day I will take the time to collect
the links to all of them on our new website - however, there is one
available to you on the main MOBY pages:

http://biomoby.open-bio.org/index.php/for-developers/perl_tutorial

If you have checked-out the CVS of the moby-live code, you should first
do an update since I just edited the example code today.  Then go to the
moby-live/Perl/scripts folder.  In that folder is a file called
Services.cgi  and that shows you what a typical Perl daemon looks like.
In the ./scripts/Services folder you will find two examples of MOBY
service modules. The first one - HelloWorld.pm - is about as simple as a
service can get, and shows you the basic scaffold for how to put a
service together.  The other file - LocalServices.pm - contains all of
the code for all of the services that I am running from my own server
here in Vancouver.  Some of these are quite complex, but they will give
you examples of most common MOBYesque messages.

So... hopefully that will get you started.  Please just send a message
to this mailing list if you run into problems.  There are lots of people
around who can help! :-)

Best wishes!

Mark

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 14:54 -0500, Nicholas Sutanto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently senior in computer engineering and doing some research about
> biomoby.
> I just got a little confuse about how to start this.
> I have cgi that I wrote in Perl Script and want to put it in the Moby data
> hosts & services, and want to make a simple client that can request to that
> service.
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help.
>
> -Nicholas.

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future