[MOBY-l] Class ontology question

Rebecca Ernst rebecca.ernst at gsf.de
Mon Sep 6 14:38:03 UTC 2004

Hi Mark!

I had some discussions on the class ontology with my colleague Dirk and
we didn't come up with a solution to our problem so I hope you have an
answer to it ;-)

I read your DesignAnObject page and found out that my Virtual Sequence
object is not correct in that terms.

It looks like this:

<GenericSequence ns='' id=''>
<Integer ns='' id='' articleName='Length'> </Integer>
<String ns='' id='' articeleName='Description'>blabla</String>
<String ns='' id='' articeleName='SequenceString'>atgtaag...</String>
</Generic Sequence>

If I get it right GenericSequence HASA String. this means that it
contains exactly ONE instance of String. But my object contains TWO
instances of String.

If the relationship of GenericSequence would be HAS instead of HASA it
would be 'legal' I suppose.

What would be the correct way to Design the object? Should I have
another object
CommentedSequence ISA GenericSequence HASA String
OR
CommentedSequence ISA Virtural Sequence HAS String
???

What's the purpose of having two similar relationships (HASA and HAS)?

Thanks in advance
Rebecca

--
Rebecca Ernst