[MOBY-l] ontology

Simon Twigger simont at mcw.edu
Fri Jun 4 17:49:30 UTC 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 4:41 AM, Catherine Letondal wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>     I am/was working on an ontology for analytical methods,
>>     I am working with Protegue, and basically I am using
>>     bio-catalog as a starting point. The key issue here is
>>     that biomoby requires an ontology for web services,  which
>>     is different from an ontology for analytical methods  (I
>>     guess).
>
> What is the difference?

I think the difference is that the service ontology needs to describe
any service that BioMOBY might want to access, some (most) of these
will be analytical methods but not all. Its possible that an analytical
method ontology might fit directly into a branch of a service ontology
but then again it might not, it all depends on what the analytical
method ontology is designed to achieve.

The first attempt at a more expansive MOBY service ontology that Ive
put together has branches along these lines. Its in the CVS but the
commit of the PNG didnt seem to work. Here's the image of the graph via
http:

http://castor.brc.mcw.edu/~simont/Moby_Service_Ontology.png

Please note -  this has lots of issues, feel free to suggest
improvements, modifications, etc. I had been looking at Emboss/Pise as
a list of current services and methods with the goal of trying to
categorize them in some sensible way. I hadnt looked at Bio-Catalog but
  will do so.

Mr/Ms Garcia, can I have a look at the analytical method ontology that
you have created so far?

Simon.

--

Simon N. Twigger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology