[MOBY-l] ontology

Simon Twigger simont at aa9pw.com
Mon Jun 7 13:58:25 UTC 2004

Hi Phil,

The object ontology 'stub' that is in there was more of an experiment
and is somewhat outside of the original scope of what we had discussed
at the MOBY developers meeting. In trying to fit the services into
categories it became obvious that many services could live in multiple
categories and that its somewhat artificial to pigeon-hole them into a
single category as we currently do (but the current 6 term ontology is
so limited this isnt really an issue). As I got more idea of how Owl
works, my thought was that the object ontology might be another branch
of a moby 'uber-ontology' structure so that services could have an
input and output properties which could be filled by classes from the
object ontology branch. By appropriately defining the service classes
in the ontology in terms of input and output objects from the object
ontology we could then reason over structure and generate a reasoned
version that would put services in all the appropriate places, rather
than the one place we currently use. I think this is more S-MOBY
territory but would make service discovery more flexible and dynamic -
users would register a service in terms of input and output objects (as
they do now) and the service ontology would then classify the service
into the appropriate type(s) for discovery.

The object branch in the service ontology file was my attempt to
explore how this might work in OWL by defining input and output
properties for services and seeing if I could fill them with objects
and have the reasoner behave as expected. I should probably prune that
from the public version and just work on classifying the services so
things don't get unduly complicated at this stage. I think this is a
good way to go but we should make some executive decisions balancing
this type of development vs getting something useable in a reasonable
timeframe.

Simon.