[MOBY-l] LSID protocol handler for Mozilla/Firefox

Roderic D. M. Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Mon Dec 13 17:45:26 UTC 2004

I'm not sure whether this is of interest to BioMoby members, but I've
put together a very simple extension that enables Mozilla and Firefox
to handle the "lsidres" protocol used in IBM's Launchpad to resolve
LSIDs. The extension redirects the browser to the
http://lsid.biopathways.org LSID resolver. Once the extension is
installed, links such as
lsidres://urn:lsid:ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.lsid.biopathways.org:pubmed:12441807
become clickable.

This is a bit primitive compared to Launchpad, but means that people
who don't use Internet Explorer 6 on Windows can have clickable
LSIDs. The extension has been tested (I use that term loosely) on
Windows 2000, Mac OS X, and Red Hat 8, with Firefox 0.9.2 - 1.0.

The extension is available from http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/lsid/ .

Regards

Rod

Professor Roderic D. M. Page