[MOBY-l] W3C Workshop on Semantic Web for Life Sciences

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 9 14:49:04 UTC 2004

Hi Catherine,

My presentations at the BOSC & BioPathways conferences went over fairly
well (providers of centralized databases didn't like it so much though...
;) Interestingly, though they didn't really advertise the fact, more and
more protein/pathway databases are starting to provide web-service-based
access. There's really a lot of excitement out there for applying
semantic-web technologies to biology, and perhaps it's even reaching
critical mass. Unfortunately, none of them was using MOBY (as far as I
could tell), though awareness of MOBY as the canonical
web-service-for-bioinformatics-framework seemed high.

So I heard about this workshop (W3C on semantic web for life sciences) at
BioPathways, and I'm certainly interested in going, if I can convince my
boss that that's a direction our lab should go. The fact that there's no
travel involved on my part should make it easier to convince him....

BTW, I just joined the BioGraphNet project up to sourceforge two weeks ago
(biographnet.sourceforge.net). Today is my first day back in the lab, so
I'm going to try and get code up for those who are interested in taking a look.

-F