[MOBY-l] ideas from the CRIB

Bruskiewich, Richard (IRRI) R.BRUSKIEWICH at CGIAR.ORG
Sat Mar 1 01:35:56 UTC 2003

Heiko,

It's interesting to see how thinking in the international community is
converging upon a similar overall strategy. Chris Mungall at al. have a very
similar view on how the GO consortium ontologies need to evolve, towards a
more descriptive logic based approach. It would be interesting to exchange
ideas with them on that.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Heiko Schoof [mailto:h.schoof at gsf.de]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 1:18 AM
To: Mark Wilkinson
Cc: mobyl
Subject: [MOBY-l] ideas from the CRIB

Hi Mark,
happy to see my ideas mirrored.

To get some grip on the vastness of relationship space, I was
immediately talking about an ontology... meaning, we can start with
basic classes, and anyone who wants to get finegrained can go down the
hierarchy forever if he wants, as long as toplevel users can still use
the basic classes and get what they expect.

To design an ontology, though, is a mindblaster of a problem, especially
if it's to stand up to trial without having to be changed. For sure it'd
need to make sure it doesn't integrate orthogonal ideas. I'm afraid that
your "Primary" and "Secondary" reference thing already rings all alarm
bells with me there: The concept of whether a relationship is firsthand
or more cirmumstantial is, in my view, orthogonal (i.e. a different
means of classification) from the type of relationship, e.g. isa, hasa.
And should thus go into a separate ontology. To your concrete example:

MyLiverCancerGene isReferredToIn PubMedCitation1
MyLiverCancerGene isA TyrosineKinase
MyLiverCancerGene has KeywordLiverCancer
TyrosineKinase isReferredToIn PubMedCitation2
LiverCancer isReferredToIn PubMedCitation3

are all valid statements in my view. What I understand you are
suggesting is to put in a CRIB:

isReferredToIn (primaryReference) PubMedCitation1
isA (primaryReference) TyrosineKinase
has (primaryReference) KeywordLiverCancer
isReferredToIn (secondaryReference) PubMedCitation2
isReferredToIn (secondaryReference) PubMedCitation3

Which I would strongly want to avoid, and I have already written the
example in a way to show that the primary/secondary business is to my
view separate from the relationship business. Instead, I'd put in the
CRIB:

isReferredToIn PubMedCitation1
isA TyrosineKinase
has KeywordLiverCancer

And use MOBY to jump on from there, retrieving the TyrosineKinase object
that contains in the CRIB:
isReferredToIn PubMedCitation2

and the KeywordLiverCancer object that contains:
isReferredToIn PubMedCitation3

What do we have Moby for, if not for following up those indirect
relationships?

For the relationship types, we need to sit down with an information
theorist, I'd guess. I keep starting with basic things like isA, partOf,
hasA, but I never know when I'm complete.

isA: This contains all the identity, synonyms, heredity stuff. In Mark's
terms: IdenticalTo, RelatedTo, FamiliarWith (except I don't agree about
the individual exons, that's partOf. FamiliarWith in my reading means
that I can move from one to the other object through some simple
transformation, e.g. evolution, translation, and so on, but it's a
one-on-one relationship (that doesn't exclude it occuring many times on
one object))

partOf: where one is more than the other, one is contained in the other,
e.g. exons and introns are parts of a transcript, domains are parts of a
protein, loci are parts of a chromosome.

hasA: attachment, but not isA or partOf. This is all the annotation
stuff, the references, keywords, GO terms, and so on.

I'd be already very happy if we implemented just that very basic
distinction, three base classes of relationships, with the option to
refine them later. It'd immediately allow to differentiate between
annotation and identity. Maybe a distinction in the isA part is
valuable, identicalTo as an isA that is in the same scope and level
(e.g. an EMBL acc and a SWISSPROT ID) and inheritsFrom as an isA on a
different level (e.g. an enzyme that inheritsFrom an EC class or an
organism that inheritsFrom a species that inheritsFrom a genus or a
protein "TYRK" that inheritsFrom a gene "tyrk" that inheritsFrom a
genefamily "Tyrosine Kinases" that inheritsFrom "Kinases" etc...)

So, Mark, I even underbid your dozen types ;-)

Best, Heiko

------------------------------------
Dr. Heiko Schoof
Technische Universitaet Muenchen