[MOBY-l] discussion of GO abbs's and Re: [MOBY] Constructing MOBY objects

Midori Harris midori at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:55:32 UTC 2003

Hi Mark,

> > So does each namespace registered in mobycentral first need to be
> > registered with GO? I was not aware of this, if it is indeed the case.
>
> Well... yes and no.  We're in a transition state right now where the
> MOBY project is trying to use the GO abbreviations with the aim of one
> day offering to take over the burden of curating this list (and this is
> in-line with other aspects of the MOBY project relating to our
> cooperation with the I3C v.v. becoming a resolver for namespace
> LSID's).  So... it isn't *necessary* for you to register namespaces with
> GO, but it would be nice to keep the two lists synchronized until we
> make the final step of becoming the "canonical" source for datatype
> namespaces.

We might as well share any new entries that come to either GO or MOBY
rather than make the submitter submit the same thing twice. You can send
any that come to MOBY to me directly or to the GO mailing list. I'll send
new GO ones to you or to the MOBY list, whichever you prefer (or you can
grab GO.xrf_abbs at whatever interval suits you).

Cheers,
Midori