[MOBY-l] Retiring the old CGI Client program!

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Dec 30 23:03:45 UTC 2003

Hi everyone!

It will hang around in the CVS repository for a while, but I think it is
time to retire that old crappy CGI client.  I've installed the MOBY-S
client that I just wrote for Gbrowse on mobycentral and that is now the
default client program when you browse to http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca

This is the ONLY client that I plan to maintain, so if you are linking
into a client program you should probably link to this one.  You can
invoke it with GET parameters '?namespace=SomeMobyNamespace&id=SomeID'
or you can just start it up and select them from the dropdown menu as
before.

The only thing this client cannot do that the old one could is to send
queries in bulk.  I may get ambitious and write that in a few weeks, but
if I start messing around with it just before the next Gbrowse release I
am surely asking to be sent straight to purgatory without passing GO!

The nice thing about this client is that it has a "plugins" like
interface for writing new renderers for various object types - if anyone
wants to write renderers, have a look at the code in the Gbrowse
conf/MobyServices/*_renderer.pm modules for an example.  The client will
traverse the ontology from object-type-node back to root looking for a
renderer to handle that object type; if it doesn't find one it will
treat it as formatted text.

Let me know if you find bugs. That's all the news for now,

Cheers all!  Happy New year!

Mark
--
Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor (Bioinformatics)

It just goes to show you that SOAP::Lite is more intuitive than you might
think, if you know enough Perl and have the patience to dive into the
source code.
		-Byrne Reese
		-http://builder.com.com/5100-6389_14-1045078-2.html