[MOBY] [MOBY-l] MOBY status?

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Dec 29 19:07:11 UTC 2003

Hi Ken et al.,

I don't think I will be making any major (even minor!) changes to MOBY
Central in January.  I'll be busy packing for my move to Vancouver, and
I'm becoming quite obsessed with building a standalone client so that
will soak up most of my development time :-)

For your workshop sure that you are teaching to the most recent version
of the API.  All of the services in
/Perl/scripts/Services/LocalServices.pm are now coded to this updated
spec, and there is a template (sub _generic_service_template) that is
pretty much cut-n-pasteable as a service.  Just add your specific code
where it says "do your thing here", and the rest is done for you.

I'll try to add a couple of new routines to CommonSubs that can deal
with the new Xref cross-references in time for your course.  I think it
is already pretty much ready, but I haven't tested it thoroughly, and I
don't think any service currently return this type of cross-reference
(Perhaps Heiko or Rebecca have some already?) so it isn't *that*
critical :-)

The only other big news is that the CVS version of Gbrowse (not the
distribution) now includes a moby browser as well as some pre-canned
moby services that configure themselves during Gbrowse installation and
can be registered by running a little script in the Gbrowse /bin
folder.  It is TREZ COOL that services are so simple that they can be
built and installed by an install program!

Let me know if you need anything from me for the course.  How many
victi...er... I mean students do you have?

Cheers!!

Mark

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 12:03, Ken Steube wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> Could you send us a couple paragraphs about what's going to change in MOBY
> over the next couple months?  I have another MOBY workshop Jan 15-16 here
> in San Diego and want to know the latest scoop.
>
> Also, if you hear of any plans to do any maintenance to moby-central Jan
> 16 or during the week before I'd appreciate if you could keep me in the
> loop (or maybe postpone if it's major change???)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken

Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
Illuminae