[MOBY-l] People's experience with perl-based GUI libraries

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Dec 29 01:44:34 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I'm getting serious now about building a standalone MOBY client, and
will be writing it in Perl since the perl MOBY libraries have somewhat
higher functionality at the moment (yeah, THAT's the reason!)

I'm wondering what experience people have with the various widget
libraries that are available for Perl.  I have a lot of experience with
Tk/Perl through my work on Genquire, but I am not particularly pleased
with it.  I'm also looking at WxPerl, and Qt.  I'm quite impressed with
Qt-Perl, actually, but it is a bit of a pain to install, and perhaps
more importantly there is no free distribution of the Qt widgets for MS
Windows so it would require Windows users to install Cygwin (which isn't
such a bad idea anyway! ;-) )

Do any of you have opinions on this (based on experience or gut instinct
;-) )?  Certainly I'll be trying to keep the "guts" and the
visualization as separate as possible so that we can change our minds
later, but it would be nice to have a widely useful product in the first
iteration.

Comments welcome!

Mark

--