[MOBY-l] service = method ?

David Block dblock at gnf.org
Mon Oct 28 16:59:54 UTC 2002

I vote for 1b.  Provide a standard interface so that all of the various
caching schemes look the same to the client, and then tell the service
providers to decide which of their services require session state, and
which are stateless, single request/response pairs.

Then clients will pretty much get what they expect, the service
providers will usually give results back immediately, and in the case of
someone providing a service that takes a long time (they must be truly
selfless to give away that many compute cycles for nothing), the
provider can use one of hopefully several drop-in implementations of a
simple interface that

a) returns a bookmark/cookie/placeholder/state-holding object to the
client

b) takes that object and returns
	i)status of query
	ii)query results
as appropriate.

Then, those that have lots of cycles but not much storage can expose
only immediate results, while those who want to let people do long
searches (or whatever) and store the results can create objects with
expiration dates, like HTML cookies, that can be garbage-collected when
they are out of date.

Of course, this would work much better if someone were to provide a
reference implementation...

And a J2EE server would probably be able to handle much of the caching,
etc., without a lot of overhead.  This looks like a job for OmniGene.
Brian?  :-)

Dave