[MOBY-l] service = method ?

Lukas Mueller mueller at acoma.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 25 18:50:11 UTC 2002

On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 01:22 , Martin Senger wrote:

>> $x = $y->operation1->operation2->operation3
>>
>> but this is just a pipeline of 3 atomic operations that could equally
>> well be broken into three separate calls.
>>
>    Could they really? Only if the operations return a handler to an
> object
> which must be used in the next operation call. Which means that the
> operations are *not* independent - but at the moment they are still
> registered as individual services.

Couldn't this be handled on the object level instead of moby central (if
I understand the problem correctly)? Instead of a real moby object, the
service would return a moby object (of the appropriate type -- such as
Sequence etc.)  that contains a pointer to the object that can then be
fetched with a defined moby service.
I'm not sure if the discussed scenarios wouldn't make service discovery
more complex?

Cheers
Lukas