[MOBY-l] Re: MOBY and the "REST/SOAP" debate

Andrew D. Farmer adf at ncgr.org
Fri Oct 4 23:05:23 UTC 2002

Hi Mark-

> > If we have the data formats in hand, it doesn't matter whether we fetch them
> > by GETing or URL or POSTing a SOAP message.
>
> This is precisely the sentence that was in my head when I woke up this morning!
> Since we aren't really using RPC (at least, not at this point),  there is nothing
> that we are doing so far in MOBY that couldn't be done through plain old GET.

As I said in my reply to Lincoln, it's not so much the protocol-specifics I was
trying to get at, it was the questions of expressing/constraining data
transformation semantics via API publishing (encoded in URLs or SOAP messages
or Java interface signatures) vs. the looser/less-restrictive mechanisms
of data-linking approaches.