[MOBY-dev] Changing only the description of an ontolgy entry

Pieter Neerincx pieter.neerincx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:17:36 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 22 Jan 2009, at 09:41, Andreas Groscurth wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if there is an easy and fast way to change the
> description of an ontology entry (such as datatype for example). Or
> do you have to follow the whole procedure of unregister it and then
> register it again ? This would be very problematic as you can
> unregister it as long as services are using it...
>
> So is there a way to change the description of an entity without
> going the long, stony way ?

No and for good reasons. If I designed a service for which I recycled
one of the objects you designed and you change how this object is
supposed to be used by changing the description, I have a problem.
Hence it might brake any of the other entries in the ontologies that
depend on it. Basically for BioMoby this means you have to de- and re-
registering the object "the long way" to make sure all dependancies
will be updated and all their LSIDs will change so everyone can easily
determine these things have changed.

I'd have to admit though it can be complicated procedure if all you
want to is correct a typo for example, but for BioMoby it's very
difficult to determine whether you just corrected a typo or changed
the whole meaning of the object.

Cheers,

Pi

> Thanks
> Andreas

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034

Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen