[MOBY-dev] Dead services and how to figure them out

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Nov 10 19:02:59 UTC 2008

Hi Sergio!

it looks like we're back to the recurring question:  what metadata belongs
IN the registry, and what metadata belongs elsewhere...

     <<sigh>>

I tend to have the opinion that only metadata necessary for discovery of a
service should be in the registry itself, and that metadata about QoS,
uptime, downtime, versioning, etc. all belongs somewhere else...  by
"somewhere else" I mean (a) in the hands of the service provider
themselves, or (b) in a third-party metadata repository.  This was one of
the primary driving motivations behind our use of LSIDs in BioMoby, since
the LSID allowed us to provide this non-registry metadata through a
straightforward, predictable API that was independent of the registry
API.  That way, we didn't have to modify the registry or the registry API
every time we had a new kind of metadata!  I *still* believe this is the
right choice... though I understand that sometimes efficiency of query is
a compelling reason to have all of that metadata in the same place.
Nevertheless, I don't think it should be a function of the registry to
decide which services it will and will not show you!  The registry should
simply tell you everything it knows, and it should be a client-side
decision which of those services it displays to the end-user (IMO).  As
such, I don't necessarily see the motivation for having this kind of
metadata as part of the registry API...

How do others feel about this?  Is there *anyone* (other than Gbrowse
Moby) who actually uses the LSID resolver at MOBY Central to retrieve this
third-party metadata?  If not, is there a reason why not?

Martin, perhaps you can weigh-in on this question, as you had
once-upon-a-time worked on the NetNanny project that would have monitored
QoS... do you have a strong opinion one way or the other about where this
metadata should live?  (LOL!  Asking Martin if he has a "strong opinion"
is perhaps redundant ;-)  LOL!)

Best wishes all!

Mark