[MOBY-dev] Primitives as primary input

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Thu Jan 10 18:37:42 UTC 2008

Hi Paul,

On 10-jan-2008, at 17:51, Paul Gordon wrote:

> I think the litmus tests would be:
> 1. might I need to subclass the identifier?
> 2. would it be useful to associate the identifier with anything
> besides a base object?
> 3. is it a subtype of some other identifier?
>
> The answers for email are:
> 1. no
> 2. yes (e.g. use it as the namespace for a Person object, which
> relates oppositely to the data-type argument by Mark)
> 3. no

The reason I initially choose to register an Email object instead of
a namespace is that it would allow me to subclass it in the future. I
have to admit I didn't do that yet, which would be a vote in favour
of a namespace, but who knows... Same for the URLs. My answer to
question 1 would be a maybe, maybe not.

In addition URLs are a subtype of URIs. (Although I have to admit I
didn't register them as such: URL isa URI would make sense to me) So
how would you handle URLs? Object or namespace?

Cheers,

Pi

> Sounds like a namespace to me...
>
> Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>> Hi Andreas!
>>
>> That's a very interesting case!  Is "email" a data-type (Object)
>> or a semantic-type (Namespace)??  It is a semantic type in the
>> sense that all email addresses are unique, and therefore behave as
>> identifiers... but it is often used as a data-type in that it
>> would be associated with other information like an address and
>> telephone number.
>>
>> Personally I would be tempted to make a new namespace
>> 'emailAddress' or something like that, since semantic "precision"
>> is the goal of these two ontologies.
>>
>> What did we do for URLs?  ...LOL!  Okay, I just went to have a
>> look in the ontologies and we have an Object "URL" and a Namespace
>> "URL"!!!  I guess others have had the same question and made
>> different decisions :-)  I see that it is Pieter's services that
>> consume the Object "URL" - maybe he can explain to us why he chose
>> to make URL an object rather than a namespace.
>>
>> Pieter?

>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 03:20:11 -0800, Andreas Groscurth
>> <groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de> wrote:
>>
>>> And hi again,
>>>
>>> we just had the discussion here... is it recommended to use
>>> primitives as
>>> primary input ? Or are there actually only for use in secondary
>>> parameters or
>>> as part of a complex datatype ?
>>>
>>> E.g. if a service requires an email as input - give it an object
>>> with
>>> namespace 'email' or similar - or could I use String with
>>> namespace 'email'
>>>
>>> Thanks and byebye
>>> andreas

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034

Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen