[MOBY-dev] Primitives as primary input

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Jan 10 18:31:06 UTC 2008

I agree with Paul (or did Paul agree with me??) that email and url are
namespaces.  Paul's argument that it doesn't make sense to sub-class an
email or a url is a compelling one, which also gives me some assurance
that this decision is correct.

...on the other hand, there have been several requests from people in the
community to create subclasses of namespaces (e.g. NCBI-->NCBI_gi), and in
the case of IRRI their need was sufficiently strong that they ended up
created objects that represented their identifiers such that they could
sub-class them at the object level!  So there is a clear desire and
apparent need to be able to categorize namespaces as well...