[MOBY-dev] Request for Java web service implementation

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Mon Dec 15 09:52:09 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I would like to make a request about the implementation of Biomoby java
web services and i would like to have a discussion about it.

Actually there are two points I like to mention.

1. If a service requires a collection as output the automatic generated
skeleton accepts only an array of objects. Why does it not allow to pass
a collection ? As usally the web service will produce a collection and
then has to retransform it into an array to pass it to the skeleton it
would be way more convienent and understandable to pass the collection
directly.

Would it be possible to change the automatic generation of the skeleton
so that it accepts a collection ?

So my suggestion would be to offer an additional method in the skeleton
which accepts a collection and either to transform there the collection
into an array or adding a new methods in MobyJob which accepts a
collection and then sets the data (basically does the same as
setDataSet(MobyObject[] data, String name, int index) only with a
collection as parameter).

2. If a datatype has a String as attribute the generated moby classes
offers the possibilty for the set method to pass the String or the
MobyString. For any other primitives this is not the case. So if a
datatype has an Integer as attribute there is only the set method which
accepts the MobyInteger, but not Integer itself.

Is there a reason for that ? because in this way it looks
inconsequent.... I would suggest to either always accept only the
Mobyxxx primitive or to add additional methods which also accepts the
java equivalent...

Thanks for the answers
Andreas

  Dipl. Bioinf. Andreas Groscurth
  Software developer
  Plant Computational Biology group
  Max-Planck Institute for plant breeding research
  Carl-von-Linne Weg 10
  50829 Cologne
  Germany
  +49(0) 221 5062449