[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY namespace and attributes

Pieter Neerincx pieter.neerincx at wur.nl
Wed Apr 16 15:09:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm having trouble with an XML parser in combination with a recent
version of CommonSubs.pm and was wondering what the official rules are
for applying the BioMOBY namespace (I'm talking about the xmlns thingy
not the namespace atribute in BioMOBY objects). Therefore I have have
the following questions:

1. Is the BioMOBY namespace required for BioMOBY object nodes?
2. Is the BioMOBY namespace required for the id, namespace and
articleName attributes of BioMOBY object nodes?
3. Is the BioMOBY namespace required for the other attributes in
BioMOBY XML? (for example the queryID attribute of the mobyData node.)

With xmlns:moby='http://www.biomoby.org/moby' and xmlns='http://www.biomoby.org/moby'
  for the default namespace defined somewhere higher up the tree are
the following Object objects legal?:

A. <     Object      namespace=''      id=''      articleName=''/>
legal:yes/no
B. <moby:Object      namespace=''      id=''      articleName=''/>
legal:yes/no
C. <     Object moby:namespace='' moby:id='' moby:articleName=''/>
legal:yes/no
D. <moby:Object moby:namespace='' moby:id='' moby:articleName=''/>
legal:yes/no

The problem I have is that the default namespace only applies to
element names, but not to attribute names as per XML spec. Therefore A
and B are equivalents as are C and D, but moby:articleName is not the
same attribute as articleName without the moby namespace prefix....

Cheers,

Pi