[MOBY-dev] other additions

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sun Nov 25 07:37:21 UTC 2007

Hello again!

In the background I have been trying to make various aspects of Moby more
"standards compliant" (hey!  Stop laughing!  Cheeky!!!)

Here are the additions I have made:

1)  One request that I got repeatedly from all over the place was that the
WSDL for a service should be available through a GET, since that's how all
*other* Web Services work.

This is now possible, and I think we should add it into the API as a
legitimate way of getting the WSDL that does not use SOAP calls to the
Registry.

The URL pattern is:

http://biomoby.org/services/wsdl/AUTH_URI/SERVICE_NAME

e.g.

http://biomoby.org/services/wsdl/antirrhinum.net/getDragonAlleleDescription

I intend to ensure that this mechanism is stable forever, so please feel
free to write code around it.  It likely doesn't affect the Java users as
much as the Perl users, since the Java stack doesn't use the
retrieveService call on MOBY Central anyway, it creates its SOAP endpoint
stubs using the output from a findService call... (right? or am I
misunderstanding?)

2)  The same WSDL document is now also available when you resolve a
Service Instance LSID through a getData call.

So, there are now THREE ways to get the WSDL:
	(a) The Moby Central API retrieveService call;
	(b) a URL;
	(c) LSID getData resolution.

Hopefully one of these three solutions should please everyone!  I know
that Martin is going to spank me for this... but I have been spanked by
Martin before, and survived! ;-)  LOL!

Mark