[MOBY-dev] A message to ensure transparency

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Jan 26 22:15:51 UTC 2007

Hi All,

we're starting a research project in my lab that looks at better ways to
discover appropriate web services and combinations of web services.  One
way we want to pursue is to log MOBY Central usage such that we can better
prioritize the output of a findService call to MOBY Central (e.g. 9/10
people chose THIS service as their next step).

To do this effectively I will be adding a "listener" to MOBY Central such
that it records and catalogues the retrieveService requests from
individual IP addresses in order to track usage behaviour and make better
search outputs.  I will hash the IP address so that I cannot easily go
back and look-up who made the request - it isn't 100% private/secure, but
frankly we're not interested in who requested the service, only in which
service they requested immediately before and afterwards... besides, I
suspect that anyone who was *that* concerned about privacy would have
set-up their own mirror of MOBY Central :-)

In any case, I wanted to make sure that there were no violent objections
to me doing this before I do it.

Please let me know, and if I hear no objections I'll add a line into the
"Policy" document associated with the Vancouver MOBY Central on the
homepage.

Cheers all!

Mark Wilkinson
Assistant Professor, Dept. Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI Bioinformatics
iCAPTURE Centre, St. Paul's Hospital

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This electronic message is intended only for the use of the addressee and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by
unauthorized individuals is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and delete the original and all copies from your system.