[MOBY-dev] Services in registry

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Fri Aug 31 13:58:58 UTC 2007

Hi Ola,
>>> After trying to programmatically access several services I
>>> turned to using the dashboard and found that there are many
>>> in "default"
>>> registry which answer with "Connection refused", "Operation
>>> timed out" etc. Shouldn't the purpose of service discovery be
>>> that you only discover available services? How does this
>>> process work? Doesn't the registry poll (from time to time)
>>> if services are available?
>>>
>> The registry does do such polling, but many of the clients do not
>> use this
>> information yet. One client that does is gBrowse_moby
>> (http://mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/gbrowse_moby)
>>

> I tried the getStatus() method for MobyService in jMoby, but all
> services in default repository are reported to be "UNCHECKED". Any
> idea why this is the case? Is polling turned off for some reason or
> is the information not used in jMoby?

Almost :-)
getStatus() is indeed how to get this information, but it is not
automatically populated
(because this information does not come from the registry, but from a
supplemental RDF file
that happens to be around).  In the Seahawk MOBY client, I populate the
status first with
setStatus().  For an example, see
ca.ucalgary.seahawk.services.MobyClient line 1031.