[MOBY-dev] soap encoding

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:58:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

The problem is that JMoby uses "soap encoding" (section 5) while this
> encoding is considered obsolete and unfortunately no any modern java
> application servers support it.

I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that jMoby implements what BioMOBY
API (specification) asks for.  jMoby is tied by this spec. We cannot
suddenly switch to a different protocol without breaking existing software,
can we?

The java skeleton generated by MoSeS generates the service endpoint
> method passing an Object to it (while according moby wsdl it should be a
> string).

Java skeleton does what BioMOBY spec dictates. If you take it, however, and
try to use it for generating a WSDL, it is you are doing things that the
skeleton was designed for. The BioMOBY spec has its own API call to get WSDL
for each service (and which, from various reasons, cannot give you the full
WSDL, anyway). Please let me know if I am interpreted your comment wrongly,
or if I am missing something.

There is no problem to change the Object to String

But the point is to have a skeleton that deals with Java objects, not with
MOBY data types. But perhaps give me an example of service you have in mind.
Probably (I guess) that you are barking on the wrong tree because you are
using the skeleton for generating wsdl.

The idea is to make (at least java, not sure for perl) webservices that
> supports both encoding

That's fine with me and I agree with this vision. But it requires to change
BioMOBY API. Ask for it the community. When we agree on it, I will make
changes in MoSeS to support it.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com