[MOBY-dev] an easy way to see the input/output sizewhenusingjMoby?

Iván Párraga García ivanp at mmb.pcb.ub.es
Wed Apr 18 16:22:09 UTC 2007

Ok, I think the misunderstanding was because the use of the word
"register"; I should have said something like "log" or "register
statistics at our servers". It could seem that I was trying to
"register" something at moby-central... I chose an ambiguous word, sorry.

Regards,

Iván Párraga García
Computer Scientist
Molecular Modelling & Bioinformatics Unit
INB - Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática
Josep Samitier 1-5
08028 Barcelona
Spain
tel.: +34 93 403 71 55
fax.: +34 93 403 71 57
e-mail: ivanp at mmb.pcb.ub.es
group page: http://mmb.pcb.ub.es
pgp key: http://mmb.pcb.ub.es/~ivanp/pubkey.asc

Iván Párraga García escribió:
> I'll try to explain better...
>
> We're registering info for statistical purposes. Things like time of
> execution, status at the end, timestamps, etc. One thing that we want to
> store is how big are the moby input objects (in the service call
> request) and the same for the response. For example, if one service is
> taking a Fasta as input, I want to know how many bytes big is this
> Fasta. I don't mind measuring the "exact" size of the input, I want to
> retrieve an unit that is proportional to the input size; in other words
> the number of characters of the XML moby request corresponding to this
> Fasta object is a good measurement, but it would be also a good
> measurement the real size in bytes... I want a measurement good enough
> to decide if two different calls have different input/ouput sizes and in
> what proportion.
>
> However, the best would be to have a realistic size in bytes but it's
> not a real need.
>
> In fact, now I'm doing something similiar to this:
>
> MobyJob request...
> MobyJob response...
>
> request.format(0).length();
> response.format(0).length();
>
> The main problem of this is that I'm introducing an unnecessary overhead
> to parse the request/response as an String (and this can be a problem
> for huge requests/responses).
>
> Have I explained myself better?
>
> Thanks,

> Iván Párraga García
> Computer Scientist
> Molecular Modelling & Bioinformatics Unit
> INB - Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática
> Josep Samitier 1-5
> 08028 Barcelona
> Spain
> tel.: +34 93 403 71 55
> fax.: +34 93 403 71 57
> e-mail: ivanp at mmb.pcb.ub.es
> group page: http://mmb.pcb.ub.es
> pgp key: http://mmb.pcb.ub.es/~ivanp/pubkey.asc
>

> Edward Kawas escribió:
>
>> Hi Ivan,
>>
>> I don’t really understand the problem. Do you think that you could give a
>> concrete example or provide further information?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eddie

>>> Spain
>>> tel.: +34 93 403 71 55