[MOBY-dev] Dashboard and date types

Iván Párraga García ivanp at mmb.pcb.ub.es
Thu Apr 5 13:43:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

Dashboard detects when an article name corresponds to a data type and
then calls the modal window "Date-Time Chooser" which is great but it
seems to me that it doesn't generate ISO 8601 compliant date/times as it
should.

This is an example of date/time generated:

2007-04-05T15:28:58Z+0200

If I understand well the standard (http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime):

/"...This profile defines two ways of handling time zone offsets:

   1. Times are expressed in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time), with a
special UTC designator ("Z").
   2. Times are expressed in local time, together with a time zone
offset in hours and minutes. A time zone offset of "+hh:mm" indicates
that the date/time uses a local time zone which is "hh" hours and "mm"
minutes ahead of UTC. A time zone offset of "-hh:mm" indicates that the
date/time uses a local time zone which is "hh" hours and "mm" minutes
behind UTC.

A standard referencing this profile should permit one or both of these
ways of handling time zone offsets..."

/- if "Z" is present, this means that we are at UTC time zone and then
there shouldn't be anything else after the "Z"
- if "Z" is no present, then time zone can be specified as
positive/negative offset with respect UTC

Some examples (extracted from the previous reference):

1994-11-05T08:15:30-05:00 corresponds to November 5, 1994, 8:15:30 am,
US Eastern Standard Time.
1994-11-05T13:15:30Z corresponds to the same instant.

I suppose that Dashboard should be corrected to produce date/time ISO
8601 compliant dates and some mechanism to determine the time zone where
the client is being executed should be introduced.

Please, let me know if I'm wrong.

Iván Párraga García
Computer Scientist
Molecular Modelling & Bioinformatics Unit
INB - Instituto Nacional de Bioinformática
Josep Samitier 1-5
08028 Barcelona
Spain
tel.: +34 93 403 71 55