[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY ping

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Nov 10 10:59:57 UTC 2006

Hi Eddie and Paul,

On 8-Nov-2006, at 3:56 PM, Paul Gordon wrote:

> It;'s not an immediate solution, but I would suggest to that people
> providing public SSL services get a real certificate if they can
> rustle
> up the money (only about $100/year).  I know most MOBY clients won't
> connect to unauthenticated services either, so making it really signed
> by an authority will make it so much more useful...

Ok, I know that a certificate signed by one of the "big" certificate
authorities would make life a little easier, but our self-signed
certificates are just as real and valid :). The problem is the
distribution of the certificates. I would have to drop by at your
office in person with my passport to prove I am who I claim to be and
the certificate on for example a USB-stick. If I would send you the
certificate in a plain e-mail, you can not verify whether it's really
my certificate or a fake one. Anyway, that distribution problem can
also be solved without $100.

I'll add some documentation to the site for people who want to use
HTTPS for their services and/or BioMOBY Central...

Cheers,

Pi

>> Hi Pieter,
>>

>>> I'm having a problem with the BioMOBY ping thing. As far as I
>>> know the services I had registered in the central BioMOBY
>>> Central respond correctly to a BioMOBY ping request. They are
>>> listed as dead though on the BioMOBY website and I'm
>>> wondering why. The current suspects are:
>>>
>>> * Base64 encoded output. Does the agent decode base64 content
>>> correctly?
>>> * HTTPS. My services require an https connection. If the
>>> agent is using Perl code it will probably complain about not
>>> being able to validate the certificate, but execute anyway.
>>> If the agent was written in Java it will refuse to execute
>>> the service if the SSL certificates can not be validated. Our
>>> certificates are self-signed, so you'd have to add them to
>>> your keystore to be able to execute our services with a Java client.
>>>

>> I bet that its listed as dead because of authentication. What can
>> I do to get
>> around this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eddie

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen