[MOBY-dev] Layering OWL on top of BioMOBY RDF descriptions

Damian Gessler ddg at ncgr.org
Fri Mar 3 17:07:30 UTC 2006

Hi Duncan,

> The next layer in the semantic web cake [1] is to add OWL descriptions.

Totally on board with you here.  To see how it's working, go to
www.semanticmoby.org and type in "dna".  You'll see that term retrieves, in
a Google-like manner, four bioinformatic service providers.  Click on the
RDF icon by their name and you'll see the OWL Resource Description Graph
(essentially the equivalent of a semantically-wise WSDL, though completely
unrelated in implementation with WSDL).  [Note: your browser may be set to
any number of alternative display modes for RDF; do a View Source if it
isn't easily readable).

You can try the Legume Information Network to see how resources can be
pipelined.

For shared ontologies--the meat of the middle layer of how resources
describe themselves and thus how they are discovered and engaged--a few a
populating at http://ontologies.ncgr.org.  We're currently lining up
conversions of SO and SOFA (Sequence Ontology), POC (Plant Ontology), and TO
(Trait Ontology).

D.