[MOBY-dev] Layering OWL on top of BioMOBY RDF descriptions

Duncan Hull duncan.hull at cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 09:39:00 UTC 2006

Gary Schiltz wrote:

>I can then paste that RDF into the converter at http://www.semanticmoby.org/developer/dev-tools.jsp

...and thanks Gary too...

Actually, while we're on the subject of RDF...BioMOBY has done a great
job of demonstrating some of the strengths and limitations of using RDF
to represent bioinformatics service metadata.

The next layer in the semantic web cake [1] is to add OWL descriptions.
Semantic MOBY, BioMOBY and myGrid have all made various moves in this
direction. With OWL, we get more expressivity and the ability to reason
over our services, in particular we possibly get more "bang for our
buck", specifically:

1. We can distinguish between classes and instances (individuals)
2. Properties won't be able to have properties any more (something
RDF/RDFS lets you do)
3. We can distinguish between language constructors and ontology vocabulary
4. We have localised range and domain constraints
5. We get existence/cardinality constraints
6. We get  transitive, inverse and symmetrical properties
7. We get better reasoning support using "native" reasoners

(see [2,3] for details)

So, which bits of this rich service metadata are going to be
a) realist to capture?
b) useful for biologists and bioinformaticians describing and finding
services?
c) useful for registry providers to manage their services?

I realise these are all very open questions, but I'd be interested to
know what moby-devvers think...

Duncan

[1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/Publications/download/2005/HPPH05.pdf
[2]