[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: v.v. the Object Ontology curation

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Jul 6 16:36:33 UTC 2006

Oh dear... I forgot about the LSID's...  Ouch! that aspect of the LSID
specification really is a painful one for database curators!

This is actually going to be quite problematic.  The edit that I just
did was not allowed by the API (which is why I had to do it at the
database level).  The reason it is not allowed is that service instances
use the LSID of their input/output objects as the primary key in the
database, so if we update the LSID of every Object that I just modified,
then all of those service registrations are broken and would also have
to be updated by hand... and so on for each child object, and each
service that uses a child object.

Can I get a "bye" on doing these LSID updates in this case?  please??
It really should be a transparent change v.v. the functionality of the
services and the XML representation of the objects.

I guess *technically*, since our LSIDs do not resolve by getData, only
by getMetadata, we haven't really broken the LSID specification by not
updating the version number in this case - we've broken it "in spirit",
but not "in practice".

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 17:21 +0100, Martin Senger wrote:
> > Dashboard users - don't forget to reload the ontology from source.
> >
>    Yes. Just a reminder: Now when the registry supports fully LSIDs with
> versions, you do not need to 'reload' but should be sufficient to
> 'update' - just use a different button (this should update only those data
> types that were really changed, so it is faster than reload).
>
>    Cheers,
>    Martin

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future