[MOBY-dev] [personal] Re: [moby] Re: Large amounts of requests from always the same IPaddress - 137.82.67.190

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 4 16:15:30 UTC 2006

> Perhaps it would be better to reserve an empty mobyData block for
> intentional service invocations (i.e. no changes to the current API with
> respect to balancing input/output mobyData elements) and define a "ping"
> as a MOBY message that contains no mobyData block at all (i.e. an
> extension to the current API)

   I like this much more than the current 'dangerous' ambiguity.
   The only disadvantage is that the services need to be updated. (But
again, those who are aware of the current 'ping' feature are probably
those who are using CommonSubs anyway - so an update of CommonSubs is
sufficinet.)

> Also a good idea.  I'd like to take some time to think about this before
> making any suggestions...  does anyone else have suggestions?

  Just look at http://www.siteware.ch/webresources/useragents/ how many
user agents are already around (I do not know how up-to-date the page is).

PS. I have removed the email (from this thread) from Spain, mentioning the
ability not only to 'ping' a service but also to run it with a pre-defined
ste of data. We have a CVS module doing exactly that already. If you are
interested please check the page
http://moby.generationcp.org/mobyenv/index.html. M.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com