[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: Large amounts of requests from always the same IPaddress - 137.82.67.190

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jul 4 15:14:25 UTC 2006

> (or they copy/pasted my service examples)

   I guess so - that's how I found it.

   Anyway, I am implementing just now a new Perl library, so I would like
to know what should be there. We all seem in agreement that a 'ping'
feature is a good one, and we also seem to agree that it can be done by
sending "something empty" back. Now, please tell me (rather exactly) the
following (you may put the answer into MOBY-API docs and we are done):

   1) The 'ping' feature (meaning that the service does not do anything
except sending back an empty response) is considered when a request:
   - has no mobyData elements ("jobs"), OR
   - has a mobyData element, but without any simple or collection in it?
   Which is the right answer?

   2) [This may already be answered by the previous question.] How does
the 'ping' differ from a service that does not expect any input data
(such as a HelloWorld service)?
   Mark already explained this case in his email - but I was not sure how
to understand it.

   3) When I am sending a 'ping' request, should I set an HTTP variable
indicating the client (usually the HTTP_USER_AGENT) to some special
value? If yes, which one?

   Thanks.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com