[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: Suggestion for newtag in Parameter(Secondary Input specification)

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Feb 28 16:35:29 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

Could you collect together the various ideas that have come up in this
thread and present a formal proposal?

Cheers!

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 08:09 -0700, Paul Gordon wrote:
> Given that the size of the human genome exceeds the limits of a xsd:int,
> and that we often use e-values exceeding the limits of xsd:double, may I
> suggest that we mandate the equivalents to xsd:integer and xsd:decimal?
> I have built my jMOBY code using arbitrary precision numbers, but I'm
> sure we'll need to change other parts of it, and of the Perl libraries...
>
> >I think we should choose the corresponding XML Schema types for each
> >primitive object. For instance:
> >
> >moby:String -> xsd:string (it would not allow XML content) or
> >xsd:anyType (any content)
> >
> >moby:Integer -> xsd:int [-2147483648,2147483647] or xsd:integer (*any*
> >integer)
> >
> >moby:Float -> xsd:double (IEEE double-precision 64-bit floating point
> >type), xsd:float (IEEE single-precision 32-bit floating point type) or
> >xsd:decimal (*any* real number with a finite number of decimal digits)
> >
> >moby:DateTime -> xsd:dateTime
> >
> >moby:Boolean -> xsd:boolean or an enumerated xsd:string
> >{'0','1','false','true'}
> >
> >	Best Regards,
> >		José María
> >
> >Paul Gordon wrote:
> >

> >>The main problem:
> >>
> >>If somebody specifies a float, can I legally submit a e-value cutoff
> >>like "1.0e-180" (i.e. are we going to assume bit capacity, such as
> >>2^-149 for 16-byte IEEE floating point, or are we supporting arbitrary
> >>precision)? Underflow and overflow can cause problems on many
> >>systems...  same thing for integers > 2^32...
> >>
> >>Actually, do we support scientific notation?  That isn't mentioned either.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Paul
> >>
> >>P.S. Yes, you are right Pieter.  You could enumerate integers, or even
> >>floats for that matter: this distinction matters for a server with
> >>strong types, but not for the client.  I've been too client centric
> >>lately :-)

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future