[MOBY-dev] Namespace matching

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Wed Feb 22 23:46:28 UTC 2006

Hi all:

Perhaps I am dense, but how can I prevent a findService central API call
from finding ALL services that consume a particular object when the
object doesn't have a namespace?  e.g. Suppose I just built a
GenericSequence with some anonymous data I have laying around.  I have
no namespace or ID for it, it's just a plain old sequence someone typed in:

<Simple articleName=''><GenericSequence articleName="" namespace="" id="">
     <Integer articleName="Length" namespace="" id="">3</Integer>
     <String articleName="SequenceString" namespace="" id="">tga</String>
    </GenericSequence>
</Simple>

When I submit to findService it has the format:

<Simple articleName="">
  <objectType>GenericSequence</objectType>
  <Namespace></Namespace>
</Simple>

But the central server interprets the blank namespace as a wildcard, not
a undefined namespace.  I want all services that take GenericSequence or
VirtualSequence but don't care about the namespace, but I get all
services that take VitualSequence including those expecting particular
namespaces.  Can I get around this without inventing my own useless
namespace, or is this the only way to go?  I thought you needed a "*"
between the Namespace tags in findService for it to act as a wildcard...