[MOBY-dev] Cleaning up the Object ontology - Inheriting from base Object

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Feb 17 10:32:36 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm with Martin here. I have quite a few Objects that inherit from
the base Object without having any HAS or HASA relationships. Most of
them are very generic things like for example "Program", "DataBase"
and "User". They can have different IDs and have different namespaces
depending on the service they are used for. And the namespace alone
is not enough. Within the same namespace I can have multiple things
which are only an ID, but one pointing to a user and another pointing
to a program and I think it's to be able to see the difference
directly from the name of the element instead of adding all kind of
child elements that only cause more overhead in XML parsing.

Just my € 2c,

Pi

On 17-Feb-2006, at 1:19 AM, Martin Senger wrote:

>> Here is my position statement - please feel free to attack it or
>> support
>> it:
>>
>    I am not going to attack it, and I am far away from supporting it.
>
>> Statement:  Any Object that is registered as deriving from base
>> Object,
>> without any HAS or HASA relationships, should be considered invalid.
>>
>    My position is clear here, and without any heat in my heart (my
> heart
> has already burned in the pre-xmas discussion you mentioned) I just
> state
> that this is unacceptable for me.
>
>> My proposal:  The Registry should trap attempts to register
>> Objects that
>> derive from base Object without any additional syntactic
>> complexity, and
>> refuse to register them.
>>
>    Which would mean (IMO), at least, to loose quite a chunk of Biomoby
> users and developers.
>
>    Martin
>
> --
> Martin Senger
>    email: martin.senger at gmail.com
>    skype: martinsenger
> consulting for:
>    International Rice Research Institute
>    Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
>    DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
>    Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen