[MOBY-dev] MOBY Central OK?

Frank Gibbons francis_gibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 8 21:49:59 UTC 2006

At 03:17 PM 2/8/2006, you wrote:
>The dreaded Error cubed, eh?
>
>I dunno... I have also been using it this morning, and haven't touched
>anything today except the gbrowse rendering modules, so...??
>
>Can you ping or traceroute to the machine?

Actually, I've now diagnosed that it's _not_ a connectivity problem: for
example, MOBY::Client::Central->findServices() works fine. But when I try
to retrieve an individual service, I end up with:

Empty String at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/MOBY/Central.pm line 2457

  ERROR ERROR ERROR

At first, I thought this was truly bizarre for a number of reasons, not
least of which is the fact that there is NO Perl 5.8.5 installed on my
machine, and even the perl executable I'm using (which is 5.8.6) is running
from my home directory, and therefore should have nothing at all to do with
/usr/lib.

....but then I realized that it's coming from the remote MOBY::Central, not
from my local MOBY::Client::Central. When I go to that line in
MOBY::Central.pm, I notice that it's in _retrieveService(), and the die()
propagates up from XML::LibXML being passed in an empty $payload.

At least I think that's what's going on. What do you think?

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons