[MOBY-dev] addendum to service creation from serialized WSDL

Frank Gibbons francis_gibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 7 22:40:42 UTC 2006

I've learned one or two more things:

1. The whole "return from a subroutine" is a red herring. Even if you
create the services in main(), not in a subroutine, you still 'seg fault'
at the end.

2. Serialization is too high-brow a term - even if you just save the WSDL
in a file, using plain old "open my $WSDL, $wdfl_file; print $WSDL
$my_wsdl" and read it back in later, the effect is the same. So it's really
and truly got _nothing_ to do with serialization.

3. I've tried altering MOBY::Client::Service to use the other syntax for
SOAP::Lite->service(), in which rather than a URI, you give it the name of
a file on the local filesystem. Nothing changes. I haven't come across
anything like what MOBY _actually_ uses, passing in the WSDL as a string -
I guess we should just be thankful that it works.

I hate to bring this up, but are there other alternatives to
XML::LibXML....? I know we went to it for its support of namespaces, but
that was a year ago, and perhaps there's something else that provides that
support now, without the threading problems? I'm not advocating it, just
wondering out loud.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons