[MOBY-dev] RFC #1941 Asynchronous Service Call Proposal

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 14:18:53 UTC 2006

> Isn't there a risk that you're getting properties of the service
> mechanism confused with those of the underlying service function?

   I do not see it as a risk.

> When you describe a service as 'asynchronous' you really mean that a
> service invocation has persistent state on the server to which the
> client must reconnect, making more than one call at the low level to
> invoke the high level service, right?

   Yes.

> Every time a 'magic' moby object type is used the client tooling becomes
> more complicated.

   Precisely, that's why I do not want mobyStatus tag  - that is a magic
tag. If I use a normal moby object, I do not need to change anything in
the client tooling as long as my client do not want to call a service
asynchonosly. In that moment, the client obviously becomes more
complicated. But if we use for status normal objects, the complication is
smaller.

> Just my two cents, I'd suggest a look at frameworks such as WSRF which
> handle state explicitly (WSRF being derived from the state model in
> Globus 2, loosely, but applied to web services), and at the least I'd
> like to see a document explaining why these relatively standard
> technologies aren't being applied here.

   This is a very valid point (you see that I sometimes even agree with
Tom?). I was myself trying to find how axis2 can help us with the
asynchonicity without changing bimoby api (or changing it not much), and
so far I failed to get it. Probably similar it is with other
technologies. We do not have time to study in details such big
products/specs as WSRF is, unless we have to. But we are usually open if
somebody tells us: this and this you can use and it will solve your
problem better. So far, we do not have such person for WSRF...

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)