[MOBY-dev] Here's a question....

Frank Gibbons francis_gibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 1 17:51:26 UTC 2006

In the Perl MOBY codebase, there is a very confusing parallelism: there's
the MOBY directory, and then there's the lib/MOBY directory.

There's a line in the Makefile that copies from MOBY to lib/MOBY. Why is
this necessary? Perhaps it's related to the following questions.

"make install" appears only to work on changes made in "lib/MOBY". I guess
this is normal for Perl, except that the "real" version of the source is
kept in MOBY.

"cvs" appears to deal only with changes made in "MOBY". That's fine too,
except that Perl expects to find it in lib/MOBY.

Every time I go away from MOBY for a while and come back, this bites me in
the ass: I find myself editing in the wrong place, and just getting
*really* confused.

If I need to edit, where should I do it: MOBY or lib/MOBY? If I need to
install my changes, is it simply "make install" or is there something else
I should be doing?  For example, should I "make clean" each time I want to
install? I presume this parallelism is a way to hang onto the CVS comments,
while adopting the more usual Perl installation tree.

FYI, I have perl 5.8.6 (just upgraded last week), running on SuSE Linux.

Can someone out there set me straight? I'd really appreciate it - my ass is
starting to hurt ;-)

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons