[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY Asynchronous Service Call Proposal v2.2 - <wsa:Action> tag missing for GetResourceProperty requests

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Sat Aug 26 13:12:09 UTC 2006

v.v. the political statement:  I strongly agree with Martin, in part, and
somewhat agree with him in another part :-)

My personal opinion on the Pseudo-Web Services approach that MOBY uses is
that it has been more of a barrier than a benefit.  I don't think this is
a consequence of MOBY not using all of SOAP/WSDL, I feel it is because the
WS architecture itself is not quite as useful as it was marketed to be in
past years.  In this regard, moving toward a REST-style architecture for
"MOBY 2" is something I am strongly in favour of because it seems like the
right thing to do, especially in the emergent Semantic Web world; the fact
that it also moves us closer to the S-MOBY architecture is just icing :-)

however, v.v. the asynchronous services proposal, I think we have to lie
in the bed we have made at least for the time being.  Fixing one of the
most troublesome aspects of the current MOBY protocol in the short term
for the wider community, while having the core developers explore what
MOBY 2.0 "looks like", seems to me like a good idea, and especially if the
proponents of the asynch proposal are building/have built the tooling for
us already.  So, given that MOBY is already married to SOAP, it doesn't
concern me too much if we add another SOAPy component to it.  It's a shame
that the WSRF framework itself isn't more widely used, but if it does what
we need it to do we might as well take advantage of it.

Just my opinion... but I'm on holiday, so I'm only using a small part of
my brain to think about it :-)

Mark