[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: MobyServlet.war should not be there

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Aug 16 20:43:04 UTC 2006

I don't think that putting it at the top level of moby-live will
necessarily help the situation - many (most?) people simply check-out
moby-live, rather than moby-live/Perl or moby-live/Java, so they will
still get this large file when they do a checkout.

If you send me the URL and a description I can add it to the "Tools"
page on biomoby.org.  I wonder if it is time to re-think the link
structure of the website again to make these kinds of resources more
prominent?

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 14:06 -0600, Paul Gordon wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> Unfortunately you cannot create it with Ant.  It includes a few files
> not yet in the repository, and anyway would absolutely require the user
> to have a "virgin" JRE (i.e. with no extra libraries installed,
> otherwise I can't guarantee the WAR is self-contained).  I can, however,
> repoint the docs to my own Web site to download it.  I will do this today.
>
> It would be nice to have somewhere in CVS where large binaries can be
> plopped for the public to download...should we create one at the top
> level of moby-live somewhere?
> > Paul and all,
> >     I had big problems when teaching jMoby. Your file MobyServlet.war is 10
> > MB long and it causes real problems for people with a slower connection.
> >    I also think (even though I cannot be fully sure) that such files (war
> > files) could be created from other pieces that are already part of jMoby CVS
> > - and therefore they should not be in CVS at all. There should be an ant
> > script that creates them if needed.
> >    Sorry, Paul, but I have to remove the file. I understand that this is not
> > an ideal step - because now your documentation is out of sync - but I simply
> > did not have other options. Please, please, do not put it back - but make an
> > ant task to create it (for example).
> >
> >    Thank you and I apologize for this rather drastic move.
> >    Martin

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Medical Genetics
University of British Columbia
PI in Bioinformatics, iCAPTURE Centre
St. Paul's Hospital, Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
fax: 604 806 9274

"Since the point of a definition is to explain the meaning of a term to
   someone who is unfamiliar with its proper application, the use of
language that doesn't help such a person learn how to apply the term is
 pointless. Thus, "happiness is a warm puppy" may be a lovely thought,
                     but it is a lousy definition."
                                                                Köhler et al, 2006