[MOBY-dev] {Spam?} Re: The Agent behaviour - discussion and questions to the MOBY community

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 16:16:36 UTC 2006

> 1. The RDF is a contract of sorts.  If you are not committed enough to
> keep the RDF available for download, your service should be
> deregistered.

Paul, you are not expressing yourself precisely. I agree that the RDF is a
contract. But if I do not sign to such contract (by not providing an RDF
signature URL) I should not be kick off (but my service should be considered
"testing"). I was very happy that we (at least me and Mark) seemed to have
consensus on this. Are you telling the same, or are you disagree (and
opening this can of worms again)?

> 2. I think the ping should be mandatory, with a valid input test case.

The valid input test cases are nice - and we can use them: we have all the
machinery in place. Which is: an LSID resolution service to get test input
data from a service provider, the predicate name for that, and
MOBY_Environment project that can use this test data to check services (of
course, you can use your own checking calls).
   But: it is beyond what a simple ping should do. Simple ping should not do
that much and it will still be useful to get fast and cheap reply if a
service (or at least its server) is up and running.
   So I am just for the ping described by Pieter. Nothing more. (And I have
it implementd in Perl Moses already.)

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com